The Thermal Engineer will provide key design inputs to the hardware team, and also be involved in the verification stages of product development, as well as providing on-going support to our UK based production team. Among the engineer’s responsibilities are the following:
- Designing, developing and testing thermal solutions for both convection and conduction cooled products.
- Liaising with the hardware and PCB design engineers to agree optimal thermal layout and mechanical construction of the boards.
- Simulating and analysing thermal performance of the products using Flotherm XT, and implementing any necessary corrections.
- Thermal and mechanical testing of new products and components.
- Maintaining awareness of new technologies.
- Reporting to the local Engineering Manager.
Candidates should be Mechanical engineering graduates (BS or MS), able to demonstrate practical post graduate involvement in embedded electronic product design, and be familiar with many of the following (in order of priority):
- Designing thermal solutions for both convection cooled and conduction cooled electronic products, for both military and commercial environments.
- Analysis of thermal characteristics at component level in excess of 40W, and at board level in excess of 60W.
- Mechanical design skills, including but not limited to solid model design of heat sinks, conduction cooled heat frames, PCB accessories and test equipment.
- Must follow a clear thermal design process.
- Experience with Thermal Interface Materials selection and application.
- Knowledge of MIL-STD-810 or similar environmental standards.
- Ability to interface with remote design teams
- SolidWorks modelling experience as well as the ability to document designs in 2D drawing format is a plus
- Familiarity with standard form factor designs, e.g. Open VPX (3U and 6U) or VME, knowledge of VITA standards is a plus
- An awareness of design for manufacturability, CAM software and CNC machining processes.
In addition to technical skills, the candidate must be independent and self-motivated but also be able to interact with other engineers both locally and overseas. He or she will be a resource for the USA, UK and India design teams on all thermal issues, so must be able to provide assured and accurate guidance to colleagues, during both the design and testing stages of product development. The role will involve some travel to the UK, including an initial period of about 3 to 4 weeks for familiarization with the company and its products, and thereafter occasionally as required.
Please send your résumé and contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org